Monday 28 July 2014

What To Do When Your Sunburn Starts Peeling...

Hello everyone! So if you haven't read the first part of the sunburn situation then click here to see how you can soothe a sunburn.

Today I'm here to talk about the next step of a sunburn - the dreaded peeling! Now I burnt my face and work in the cosmetics industry so I had to help reduce the peeling AND be able to wear a full face of make up while at work.

So the first thing you need to keep in mind is that your skin isn't just healing but it is also extremely dehydrated. I normally have oily skin but I can't even tell you how dry my skin has been over the past week.

1. Hydration!
The first thing may come as an absolute no brainer but you have to hydrate your skin. If you don't already have dry skin then switch out your moisturizer for something more rich. I personally used a deluxe sample of the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Rich Cream. I normally have oily skin so I honestly thought that I'd never use this sample, but I popped it away in my sample drawer.

This cream not only hydrated my skin but it soothed it. It really does provide you with long-term hydration (it claims 48 hours but I think that's a little ridiculous). I think this would be an absolutely amazing winter moisturizer.

2. Exfoliation
The next step is exfoliating. No moisturizer, no matter how hydrating it is, is going to revamp the dead, peeling skin on your face. Don't pick at it, but allow the exfoliation to gently take it away. I used a few different types of exfoliating washes. The first one I used was a physical exfoliant by Philosophy called "The Micro Exfoliating Wash". This guy has super tiny beads that will gently clean your face. It's not super abrasive, but it gets the job done.


The next type of exfoliant is a chemical exfoliating wash by Philosophy called "Miracle Worker". This cleanser has lactic acid in it which is a great anti-aging ingredient that also eats away at the dead skin. It has a milky lotion texture that isn't irritating on the skin.

3. The right make up 
Go without make up as much as you possibly can. But if you must, here are some suggestions for products that won't accentuate the dry patches and peeling skin. The key is to go for light-weight, hydrating, and radiant formulas.

PRIMER
Benefit's "That Gal" primer is a hydrating and brightening primer. It is lightweight and will ensure that your foundation lasts and you don't look cakey. It has a pink iridescence that will help with the brightening which will make your skin look more youthful and healthy.

FOUNDATION
Next you'll need a foundation that is hydrating and light weight. I used Nars Sheer Glow. It gave fairly good coverage and it didn't dry out my skin or cake it up. You need to sacrifice full matte coverage when dealing with peeling skin because it will only dehydrate your skin more and accentuate the peeling.


BLUSH/BRONZERS/HIGHLIGHTERS
Do not used powder based blush, highlighters and bronzers if you can. You don't want to take away from the hydration party that is going on on your face. Stick to cream based products such as Tarte's cheek stains. The one that I have is the old packaging, the new packaging is more sleek (but it's still the same great product). This blush will last all day but it will hydrate your skin. It is packed with maracuja oil and antioxidants such as acai berry, acerola, goji berry and pomegranate.


Lastly - make sure you are using a nice lip balm with an SPF. I personally love Fresh Lip Sugar - it has SPF 15 and gives a nice tint to your lips. I'm absolutely in love with their newest shade, Tulip. It gives you that perfect pink shade and it actually has a really good long wear.

So there you have it! My list of products that saved my unfortunate, peeling face. Make sure you are gentle with your face and give it time to breathe so it can heal.

What do you use to help with a sunburn and the post-sunburn peeling skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment