Tuesday 30 July 2013

My Yorkies

So I was recently tagged to do the Furry Friends Tag on YouTube. I decided to accompany the video with a blog post so I can introduce you to my two puppy babies, Ivy and Remi.

It was just over a year ago and I was graduating from my bachelors of arts. I knew I was moving home and was getting puppy fever. I've wanted a yorkie since I could remember. I would constantly creep petfinder.com or breeder's websites, but I never seriously inquired. I somehow convinced my parents that it was a good idea to get a puppy. At the time I had my 15 year old Bichon Frise (Basil). He was a Christmas present when I was 8. He unfortunately passed away this past January and I miss him everyday, RIP Basil :(.
Basil lounging in his chair
I also had my 3 year old cockapoo, Sawyer. I adopted him from a rescue when he was 8 weeks old. He was initially from a puppy mill. The puppy mill sold him to a pet store where he was bought by a family. The family returned him after they discovered that he dislocated his knee at his first vet appointment, and off he went back to the puppy mill. The puppy mill usually puts puppies down if they're unwanted (because they can't make money off them) but this puppy mill luckily had a deal with a local rescue where they'd give the unwanted puppies to them. 

I initially planned an appointment with the rescue that day to see a female westie-poo (and she was adorable, she actually looks like a golden retriever puppy full grown) but I fell in love when I saw Sawyer.

He was so chubby and adorable. He was extremely hyper too. I just couldn't leave the rescue without him. So off i went with my little ginger fluff. He is my first baby and I will always love him.
Sawyer with his ice cream cone

So back to where I was, Ivy. I had already done so much research on a bunch of breeders and decided to go with a breeder that had yorkie/silky cross puppies. She had a male yorkie, a male silky, and then a few silky females. Majority of these dogs were rescues too - so power to her! 

I emailed her just in time, she was taking deposits for a new litter. I let her know that I wanted a female and Ivy was the last female to get claimed (she initially was going to keep Ivy but decided not to at the last second). I obviously fell in love with Ivy, she was the sweetest little thing ever.
Baby Ivy the day I took her home

Flash forward to a year later. My mom wanted to get a yorkie because I'm moving away for school this September and taking Ivy with me. So we went back to the same breeder. While we were there I fell in love with one of the puppies and quickly decided that I was going to adopt another one so that Ivy would have a buddy. 
Baby Remi!

So this is my little happy puppy family now. I wish I could take Sawyer with me to school but he gets really bad separation anxiety so I don't think he'd handle me being away in class or at work very well. So he is happiest at home with my parents for now. He has also grown attached to my mom's puppy, Mati, so maybe it is for the best.
with my furry minions!

Ivy and Remi absolutely adore each other. She protects him like a little brother and she likes that he's not overly dominant or hyper. 

If you want to see a video of the day I picked out Remi (and my Mom picked out Mati) Then Click here (the formatting is kind of off for the video)
so sweet

You can also check out more details about Remi & Ivy by checking out my YouTube channel here


No comments:

Post a Comment